We've No Less Days

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Playing on the Farm

Our playgroup recently visited a children's farm here in town, and it was a really great time. First of all, we just love these friends. And secondly, it is fun finding new things to do together. And third, most of our kids are quite interested in animals right now, so this was a great find. Fourth, it's just nice to pass time together one morning a week. I've been organizing the playgroup for about a year now, and I have really enjoyed it. I think the main thing I love about it is just having regular, scheduled, consistent, expected, predictable time to hang out with our friends from church each week. There's not always something new and interesting to talk about because we see each other so much, but it's the little "drops in the bucket" that add up over time to make for deeper relationships and just being present in each other's lives. It is helpful learning from each other throughout all the ups and downs of raising little people. Other than that, these kids are also just really cute. It's not always easy going to playgroup, though...in fact, often during the past year, going to playgroup has been harder for me than just staying home. Because usually it means there will be lessons in sharing and using gentle hands and being kind...lessons we don't always have the chance to learn when Lillian is at home playing solo with her own toys...battles I don't have to face. But she needs to learn these things, and community is invaluable. So, it's totally worth it--a great thing. I'm so very, very thankful that God has provided such wonderful women for me to "do life" with in this particular stage. Enjoy some pictures.

Pony rides included! Most of the kids were a little trepidacious (except brave Gillian!). First I convinced Lillian to sit on the pony with me hugging her...
...then to touch the saddle and wear a helmet...
...then to let the pony walk a couple of steps...
...before she jumped ship. A sweet memory nonetheless.
Gillian is quite the young equestrian!
Cutie pie.
Noah looks like he is ready to play polo!
I love this pic of Owen just watching and taking it all in. Totally unstaged.
Sweet Libby looks good up there, too!
Owen was a little like Lillian, not too sure about this pony thing. However, his dad grew up as a horse boy, Crystal said, so...
...after a hug or two...
...he rocked it.

Then it was off to the chicken coop. I think Lillian had the most fun here. The kids were actually allowed to feed the chickens out of their hands, pet them and even pick them up if they wanted!
Our farm guide teaching the kids how to feed the chickens.
I really thought chickens would peck too hard to feed them this way, but apparently not these!
They were even tolerant of being pet.
Close encounters.

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute and I did not even recognize Owen. He's SUCH a big boy now! Lillian is so cute on the horse. George did the same thing she did this week with a pony. Keep the pics coming!

    ReplyDelete