As I've written about briefly, Lillian is the process of potty training right now. I think she's doing great considering the gradual approach we are taking at this point. She loves to get a Welch's fruit chew after success on the potty. And she also loves to celebrate her success by putting her hands up in the air and chanting, "Go Ninny, go Ninny, go Ninny." (Ninny is how she says Lillian). Well, one day, she was lining up all the animals and figures of various makes and models in her toy collection, and she told me they needed a potty. So I started thinking about what I could jolly-rig into a toy potty...perhaps our smallest tupperware container, I thought. And then I remembered that L's dollhouse has a little potty, so I got that. Oh my, what a satisfaction for her. So, I just thought these pics of her lining up her animals to potty were priceless.
Another recent development is that L is now in a big-girl bed! She LOVES it. I was shocked at how well the adjustment went. I mean, we did talk it up for a few weeks before getting it, visiting baby stores and letting her get on the model beds, etc. I considered our visits and "talking it up" successful when she said one day, "I want a big-girl bed." Woohoo! Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I know how much Lillian loves her crib, and I don't want to just rip it out from under her when Little Sister arrives. I kind of wanted that transition to happen way earlier than the baby so that she won't be as likely to feel jealous when the baby uses her crib. I found a fabulous big-girl bed on craigslist, brought it home, set it up with her crib still in the room too, and just decided to let her get used to its presence while still putting her down in the crib. Then Kelby said that he has a very special memory of his parents having both his crib and his big-boy bed in his room, and saying to him, "Kelby, do you want to move up to your big-boy bed, or do you want to spend one more night in your crib?" He remembers really liking that they let him pick, and he says he chose the big-boy bed. This has always been a special memory for him. So, we took that approach, and like her dad, Lillian chose the big-girl bed. It's been a beautiful transition. I expected tons of getting out to play, etc., but apparently playschool/daycare has her trained to stay on her cot during naptime, and that's working in our favor. She does get out to play after nap and in the morning when she wakes up, but hey, that's great, too! I could always use a few extra minutes for coffee!
Another sweet development is that Lillian and DB (our dog) are just crazy about each other. Well, maybe Lillian is a little more crazy about DB than DB is about Lillian, but it's still a mutual affection. I remember adoring my childhood dog, and it's sweet to see a similar relationship here. I'm so thankful for this dog. She is SUCH a good girl.
I also love the fact that the above pic shows L's new fascination with her blocks, especially building "houses" for her stuffed animals (and DB).
L loves to "cook". I think it's funny that she thinks her winter mittens are oven mits. Makes sense, though.
I *think* this is one of the first times she has intentionally made a funny face like this for the camera.
She now helps me cook!
And uses scissors!!!
Along with all these growths, we've also seen some of the "Terrible 2's". Like, walking up to my friend's baby, looking at his face, touching his forehead, and then just -yup- pushing him down. I'll be honest, sometimes this just makes me tired. It's terribly inconvenient, too, to have to stop what you're doing to go talk or discipline. So I've been praying a lot for patience and wisdom and strength for this lately. But thankfully, God has really given me new perspective on it. Lillian is a sinner AND a toddler. So, she's a sinner without much self-control, and without much restraint from the fear of man sin that so many of us struggle with that limits some of the other stuff we would do. So why do these little sinful moments surprise me? This is who she is, and who we ALL are on our own. It's the PERFECT chance to start pointing her to her Savior, Jesus! So, I'm finding fresh perspective and energy to be thankful for these opportunities to teach her about truth. I am praying to do so in a toddler-appropriate way that doesn't bash her for her sin or just lazily excuse it, but that shows her the amazing Savior we have (and need!) in a way that warms her heart to him and endears her to him even from this young age. It's a high calling--oh Lord, help me do it well! And thank you, Lord, for the chance to nurture this little life.


I love you and the way you parent. It encourages me and makes me think differently (and more deeply) about being a mommy. She's more and more precious every day. My fav pic is the DB "house". Love it.
ReplyDelete